Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Hermitage: A Look Back

When I was back in NJ visiting my dad, I was able to spend a little time with my brother, Rob, his wife, Candy, and my niece, Ashley. One of the things we did, after I made them drive around Waldwick so I could wax nostalgic (though I confess I didn't really feel that nostalgic about Waldwick), we stopped at The Hermitage, an historical home in Ho-Ho-Kus.

When we were growing up not much had been done to The Hermitage. It was turned over to the state in the early 70's, but it took some time before enough money was raised to allow the home to be restored. I remember performing there, in one of the few accesible rooms, with my high school's string quartet (I was the violist) to help raise money. I was happy to see the house restored and open for tours. It dates back to before the revolutionary war, was one of the many places that hosted General Washington during the war, and the widow of the owner eventually married Aaron Burr. Descendants lived in the house, in a terrible state of poverty, until the 1960’s.

There also happened to be a Civil War historical event taking place, which was pretty neat. I got to shoot an Enfield rifle (sans an actual bullet - just the powder and a cap).

Enjoy the pics.

The front of the Hermitage.
Welcome sign.
Back of The Hermitage.
Love the windows and woodwork.
The parlor, set for tea.
A wreath made of human hair, a craft of the time.
Window detail.
Doll on the mantel in the children's room.
One of the bedrooms.
Spinning wheel in the back sitting room.
My beautiful niece with one of the Civil War enthusiasts.
A visitor shooting the Enfield rifle.

 

No comments: