Saturday, September 22, 2007

Back at Home

I am back at home after my short break and already sorry to be home. I could have stayed in Tomales Bay a few days longer and been quite pleased with myself.

I put aside I Married a Communist for a bit because I picked up a new book at the bookshop in Pt. Reyes Station, called Sharp Objects. I just finished this morning -- just couldn't put it down. I would not say it was a great book by any stretch of the imagination, but it was riveting. Plot is fairly straight forward. Young woman reporter is sent by her editor back to her home in the middle of nowhere to investigate the deaths of two young girls. Of course our protagonist has all sorts of emotional issues, which are slowly revealed as she investigates the murders. As far as a whodunit type novel, this one was fairly predictable and I wasn't surprised by the outcome. What made the novel riveting was the main character's emotional state and her relationship with the other characters. If you like dark novels with psychological elements that you don't often find in books then you'll like this one. It was a fast read and, as I mentioned, it held my attention.

On another topic, I'm about halfway through knitting the scarf I'm making for my stepmother. Got the patter off knitty.com. It's a reversible cable scarf and the pattern is super easy. I'll be done in no time and will post a pic once it's complete. I wanted to do the scarf in a nice blue yarn, but nothing I found reached out to me so I finally selected a light grey yarn from Debbie Bliss - the cashmerino line. My stepmom wanted something soft and warm, not itchy. The cashmerino meets the requirement perfectly. Plus, it is very easy to work with.

Now I'm off to a cute six year old's birthday party. Should be fun.

No comments: