Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Wind in my Hair

It was one windy day out in Pt. Reyes. I took the long drive from Marshall to Drake's Beach out in the Pt. Reyes National Seashore. I hadn't realized how vast the park was, but from Inverness, on the west side of Tomales Bay, it is still something like 13 miles to Drake's Beach, which is one of the beaches on Drake's Bay, named after Sir Francis Drake, who sailed up the west coast searching for a Northwest passage. The bay was actually originally named San Francisco Bay, but when the SF Bay was "discovered" by a group of explorers heading north up the coast the bay further north was renamed Drake's Bay.

While the weather was beautiful, the wind was a huge deterrent. I took a walk on the beach, but didn't stay long. Instead, I took my time driving back, stopping occasionally to take pictures or just to gaze at the wide openness of the area.


It was very bright out there... in the picture above you can barely make out the Pacific out in the distance because of the amount of light. But it was surely beautiful.

After being a nature tourist, I drove back to Pt. Reyes Station and wandered around a bit before heading back to the cottage for a quiet evening.

No comments: