Wednesday, June 3, 2009

To Kindle or Not to Kindle..

My friend, Walker, recently passed a Kindle commentary by Pierre Tristam along to me as I had told her I was taking my brother's Kindle for a test drive.

I loved the article and, in essence, agreed with him... the Kindle is a good supplement, but it won't replace my desire to have the physical book. I was talking to another friend about it last night and he, being somewhat of a purest and a skeptic, was opposed in principle to the Kindle. But, as I explained, I read so many books that I don't keep or, frankly, don't want to keep, why shouldn't the Kindle be a good solution? If I come across a book on the Kindle that speaks to me like any number of other books have in the past, I'll have no problem buying a hard copy and adding it to my collection. But for all those murder mysteries, spy novels, the occasional guilty pleasure of a romance novel, the random funny books I find and the multitude of fantasy novels the Kindle may prove very worthwhile.

Tristam write, "Most of all, books' physical existence reassures me." He's right. There is something about seeing those books on the shelf, knowing I can pull one down, feel it's weight in my hands, finger through the pages looking for a particular passage or quote, that somehow ensures me that all is okay with the world, even in times that often seem dire.

But boy, finding a book I'm interested in and being able to download it in seconds and be reading it in minutes... well, that's something, too!

1 comment:

Cheryl Czekala said...

An incredibly sensible argument that has me thinking you'd make an outstanding attorney.