Thursday, October 31, 2013

So Much Jersey Stuff, Part I

Time is flying by like crazy. I've already been in New Jersey for 9 days!

My dad's memorial service, and the reception that followed, on Saturday, Oct. 26, was lovely. My cousin, Ben, officiated the service. Adele, Uncle Jim and I spoke for the family and then a bunch of dad's friends came up and shared stories. There were close to about 100 people there, give or take, many of whom I didn't know. I was very happy to see familiar faces, like my Uncle Barry and Jens (dad's frat brothers) and Douglas and Mitch (dad's train buddies). I got to put some faces to names, mainly to some of dad's friends and colleagues from the law firm where he worked. And of course I spoke with many others familiar and new, though I wished I'd had more time with some. I'm so glad we had the service, even though I know my dad wasn't enthusiastic about the idea. There really is something to be said about the closure such an event can bring.

Here's the brochure I made for the service and the text I read.

Sunday morning Adele, Albert, Lily, Lisa, EJ and I scattered dad's ashes. That hit me harder than I expected.

A leaf on the RR tracks where we scattered dad's ashes.

Later that day I went down to Red Bank to attend a surprise party for my cousin Ben. It was a very belated happy 50th and it was great fun. A nice flip side to Saturday's event.

Ben in the center with the big grin on his face. He was very surprised.
One of the guests at the party.

I spent Sunday night in Red Bank and on Monday I drove down to Island Heights, which is where I spent every summer from about 12 years old until the time I went off to college, not to mention countless weekends and holidays. I loved being down there with my great aunt and my South Jersey friends (like Sharron, that crazy Havens girl!). Her lovely daughter, and my daughter through some blood-sister mojo-juju, Candee, met me in town with coffee and Dunkin Donuts.

Island Heights was founded as a Methodist summer camp meeting vacation spot.
My great aunt's little cottage.
A view of Toms River from Sharron's family home.
Detail of The Artist's Guild, a place that shows local art. It's been there for as long as I can remember.
Looking at town from the end of the public dock.
The public dock. Many, many hours of swimming and ice skating were launched from this dock.
The post office!

Island Heights is a beautiful town. I was lucky to have spent so much time there growing up and it felt great to visit, even if only for a short one. Some photos found while poking around the house...

I found this in an old scrapbook from the 1930’s. Made me miss SF.

After waxing nostalgic in Island Heights, I headed south to Manahawkin and Sharron. After taking advantage of Sharron's hospitality by doing laundry and taking a shower, she took me sight-seeing.

The Pine Barrens, home of the Jersey Devil.
More Pine Barrens.
Skeletrino searching for bodies in the Pine Barrens.
Out on Long Beach Island.
Barnaget Light House.
Sunset fishermen.
Another view of Barnaget Lighthouse.
Sunset and fishing boats.

We ended the evening with a pizza and a far too short visit with Sharron and all her beautiful girls. An overall wonderful day.

So Much Jersey Stuff, Part II coming soon.

 

2 comments:

Jim and Nancy Forest said...

The Island Heights photos bring back a flood of memories of weeks Dick and I spent with Aunt Douglas in the summer. Also love the childhood photos of you, David and Rob.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Such gorgeous photos.