Sunday, October 14, 2007

AARP as Aarp?

I forgot to mention in my posting last night that while reading the local senior newsrag at my grandmother's, I learned of two hot items in the senior world these days. First, AARP -- most commonly known as the American Association for Retired Persons -- thinks they should just be referred to as Aarp, because so many of their members are not yet retired. Apparently it's because so many are "feisty geezers" who want to work until they are completely bent over and dragging their feet because working until you are 90 is just so great. It has nothing to do with the fact that companies keep stealing people's pensions, healthcare is so expensive, and that so many older people can't afford to pay for their life expenses if they do retire these days.

The other news is that "senior" is no longer politically correct. The author mentioned the use of "grown-up" instead. What does that make me? A child still? (Well, maybe mentally and emotionally.)

I gave up on any further reading at this point, and did the Sudoku instead.

No comments: