Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Not all Excitement is Good Excitement

Earthquakes used to seem exciting to me, at least until 1989 when we had the 7.2 quake in SF. Since then, I suffer a different sort of excitement and it's not the kind of excitement I like. We had a 5.6 this evening, around 8:05 pm CA time. 5.6 is considered moderate by the US Geological folks. The kitties didn't seem to think it was moderate. Keiko, in particular, was quite freaked out by the event. 12 seconds doesn't seem like a long time, but with the pictures shaking, the windows shaking, the house shaking, the earth shaking, well, then 12 seconds feels way too long. It's now close to 9:30 pm and I haven't yet felt a follow up. I can only hope if there is one that it will be minor and unnoticeable as I sleep a deep and untroubled sleep.

Checked in with the Bro -- the center of the quake wasn't far from him -- and all was fine down in the South Bay, though I expect they felt quite more then I. Gave the parents a call, just in case the 5.6 made the NJ news. Parents worry.

To keep things in perspective, there was a 7.2 in the "Pagan Region, Northern Mariana Islands" today as well, though the link on the USGS Quake site is broken as I write this so I am unable to get any additional information. If I'm reading my maps correctly, this is would be north of Guam (sort of between Japan and Papua N. Guinea). I would rather have a 5.6 than a 7.2.

Anyway, I'm ready for sleep now, and hope it will come quickly. I haven't been sleeping well since being sick and I really want to get some rest. Some others are turning up sick now, too, including one of my devoted readers. I can only hope that those getting sick will recuperate quickly.

No comments: