Saturday, October 13, 2007

My Senior Star

I went to help set up a new iMac (new-used, that is) for my grandmother and while there, she showed me an article in the local Senior newspaper -- she was the featured senior of the month! My grandmother (by way of my grandfather's fourth marriage), had some significant column space dedicated to a insanely fast overview of her life. My father's side of the family is full of outspoken, vocal, honest, ethical folks who definitely lean on the left side of the seesaw. Some of them make me seem out and out conservative -- which I so am not! The article had a great picture of her and pulled out some nice tidbits on her life, though it focused mainly on her political activism and, oh, things like her sitting next to Martin Luther King, Jr. at some political event! The things I learn as I get older. *sigh*

At 87, she remains very active in her community and each time I see her I am reminded of how important it is to live by right actions. We can't fix everything, but we should always try and make the world a better place, even if it means discomfort for ourselves. A hard motto to live by, to be sure, but one worth trying for.

On a totally tangent note, I'm supposed to help my friend paint her kitchen orange tomorrow. Orange? I'm trying to reserve judgement.

2 comments:

Jim and Nancy Forest said...

If you can copy the clipping about Lucy, please send one to me. I'd love to read it.

PS You get a gold star for setting her up with a better computer!

thistle said...

Reserving judgement? RESERVING judgement?!?!?

YOU told me on the phone orange was a GOOD color. I swear you said that....

And it really is... a good color...