Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Comcast Causes Mental Health Issues

Okay, so maybe it was my fault that I decided to use the Comcast online help instead of calling. But I figured, how hard will be it be to get my Comcast uername so I can log into my freaking account to see if there is any freaking way to update my new cable modem MAC address online through, oh shock me silly, their customer account interface? I swear, I really should have kept the transcript of the discussion with the person who was helping me. First, they need to lose some of those lame auto answers. Ugh. Add to my angst that none of my recent phone numbers seem to be on Comcast's record of me. Finally, after much back and forth and delays and my revealing my under-things -- ok, I really just mean my cable modem's MAC address -- she finally reset my password and revealed my top secret username. Great. So then I think, well, I've got the person right here, let me ask her how I can register my new modem's MAC. She tells me -- which I confirm a second time, as I find it hard to believe -- that I have to go down to the Comcast office in person. I also need to return my existing modem (which I own) so I don't continue to be charged for using their modem (which I am not charged for). I said thank you and disconnected.

I then did what I should have done in the first place. I called them, navigated through the annoying phone tree to tech support, and got a VERY NICE GUY on the other end who hooked me up in just a few short minutes. Yes, lesson has been learned.

Now the only outstanding issue is whether this new cable modem -- a Linksys CM100 -- will provide me with a more stable and reliable connection then my old modem (a surfsomething motorola, which has been loyal until the past x-months or so). I would like to point out that as I was doing my taxes via TurboTax (yes, I waited until the last minute, shut-up) my connection dropped 3 -- count it, 1-2-3 freaking times! Ya'll know how cranky I can get. Well, imagine me cranky and then magnify that by a factor of 20 and you might have a sense of how irritating my night has been. I take full responsibility for my crankiness.

But the VERY NICE GUY who hooked me up made it all better. In fact, I will go to bed imagining him whispering sweet techno-nothings in my ear. I anticipate sweet dreams tonight.

UPDATE: Thursday a.m. - woke up to, surprise, a dropped connection. Had to do the usual unplug, wait 60-seconds, replug. Maybe I should start considering moving to DSL.

UPDATE: Thursday p.m. - as you'll note from the comments below, Comcast has discovered my humble little blog. I guess my blog title gave them some pause for concern. They are being very helpful so far and have scheduled a tech visit to see if they can get to the root of my intermittent dropped connections. I will, of course, update Bellhops with the breaking story of their efforts. And for those of you who may be thinking my blog title overly dramatic, it wasn't when I wrote it! As if filing your taxes at the last minute isn't stressful enough.

And a shout out to E for hitting the 6-month mark - if you don't know what I mean I won't be telling ya so don't ask. Here he is back in the day (2006).

3 comments:

davslack said...

poor snarfff-ums!

ComcastCares1 said...

Congrats on whatever that 6 month mark is for! :)

Anyway, I decided to post because you mentioned Comcast and I work for Comcast. Apologies for the troubles experienced with our company. If you don’t mind, will you share with me the phone number on your Comcast account so that I can look into this? You may also include a link to this page on your reply.

Thanks for providing the opportunity to assist.
Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Snarfff said...

Wow, Comcast checking out my blog... I should have known the use of the word "Comcast" would have triggered a response. But Mark, you missed my note in my entry -- about how none of my recent phone numbers -- including my current one -- seem to show up associated with my Comcast account. LOL. But that's okay. I'll email we_can_help@cable.comcast.com. Maybe he/they will be able to figure out the dropped connection issue so I don't flee to DSL.

I should add in all fairness to Comcast that I've only complained of this issue once, when I was not able to bring my connection back up and had to call customer support for help resetting the modem, and that time the tech guy was very nice, too, though he had no suggestions as to why my connection kept dropping. Could it be the modem, the wireless router, Comcast? Who knows? Trying to do taxes while my connection kept dropping made me crankier than normal.