Thursday, March 6, 2014

Cold Turkey

I've realized how heartless it was of me to make you all go cold turkey after giving you two photos a day, every day, for all of February. Knowing how wrong it was, I will try to make it up to you tonight.

Last weekend I was feeling a bit out of sorts so I cancelled my plans, opting to stay close to home. Luckily for me, I didn't stay indoors all day. I ended up going out to Sutro Baths with Madge and a good friend of mine. It was beautiful out there. The recent rain and storms had made the surf quite rough and the sky alternated between mostly grey clouds to a mix of blue skies and clouds. I took a lot of pictures and finally managed to cull all those down to a grouping of 4 and 5 stars, and from that, produced a set of 20 that I've posted to Flickr. Here is a highlight of those photos. The rest you can see by clicking on the link to the Flickr set at the bottom.

I love these skeleton trees.
Yes, I like to peer through shrubbery. It feels like life.
Sutro cement and rocks. I'm glad I wasn't around when that rock arrived.
A seagull, unfazed by the surf, looks inland. Maybe someone was walking around with a granola bar.
How I feel about all of you.

Sutro Bath Flickr Set

On the topic of photos, a new photography book arrived just a few days ago; a retrospective of Harry Callahan's work. I have been browsing works by various photographers and it seemed I'd like his, so I ordered the book from Amazon. I was not familiar with him previously. Beautiful work. A lot of his images touched me, but I think I liked his photos of the grasses out at Horseneck Beach the most. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who likes to take pictures of grasses waving in the breeze. Now if only I could get my grass photos to have the same power his have.

The more I look at black and white photography the more I understand how much I like intense blacks in mine. I find I'm always bringing up the black when making adjustments to the images.

If you have any recommendations of photographers to check out, please let me know. I'm exploring. On my wish list so far is Aaron Siskind, Diane Arbus (who I am familiar with), Walker Evans, Andre Kertesz and Hiroshi Sugimoto.

 

No comments: