Saturday, November 3, 2007

Kidney Relocation

Exciting family news. My Aunt and Uncle have successfully come out of kidney transplant surgery! My Uncle had been on dialysis for quite some time waiting for a kidney, but of course a lot of people are waiting for kidneys. After some time, my Aunt decided she wanted to give him one of hers. This, to me, is an act of true love and devotion. This is what you do for the people you love -- wow! After a very long time of test after test the doctors finally approved the transplant, and last week into the hospital in Amsterdam they went. Word from my cousins and from my Uncle (emailing from his hospital room!) is the surgery was successful for them both and they are now beginning their recuperation. Below is a picture taken by my cousin of Nancy and Uncle Jim at the hospital. I am thrilled to see how well they both look. As my Uncle wrote in his recent email, "My lower abdomen on the right is seriously sore. That's the location of what was formerly Nancy's kidney. She is now down to one while I'm graced with three, two of which have become bit players, one of which is an instant super star." You can read about the whole kidney transplant thing on their blog, A Tale of Two Kidneys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is wonderful news! I'm glad it went well and they look great considering the major surgery they just had.