Saturday, January 24, 2009

Master of Torture

I have come to the realization that orthopedic surgeons would make perfect Masters of Torture. Just think about it. They know all the bones of the body and how they relate to muscles, tendons and nerves. They have no problem messing around with the bones. They do it all the time, just usually when the patient is under anesthesia. Sure, I know that our new most awesome of presidents is, thankfully, working to close Guantanamo (and hopefully make more aggressive moves against the institutionalized use of torture expanded under W.), but just in case, we should keep these orthopedic surgeons in mind.

But perhaps I'm being a bit harsh. After all, when Dr. J tortured me yesterday I was soundly asleep and blissfully unaware of the pain he was inflicting upon my poor elbow. If I had been awake I am certain my screams would have been heard all the way to New Jersey and poor Dr. J would have been covered in bruises inflicted by my good arm and probably my flailing legs as well. When I woke up in the recovery unit (I was only under for about 30 minutes) my arm was a flaming mass of pain. One look at the nurse and he knew! He asks, "scale of 1 to 10?" No hesitation on my part, "7." I had to keep it in perspective with the actual dislocation which will forever be my measure for "10." It took several doses of morphine and some sort of anti-inflammatory before the pain was tolerable. I am currently having no hesitation in taking 2 vicodins (prescription says take 1 to 2 as needed for pain). Even now, the day after, my arm still hurts a lot. It sort of feels like someone grabbed me and flung me around while holding a vise-like grip on my wrist. Add to that my overwhelming anxiety about going back to the hospital and under anesthesia again, well, yesterday just was not one of my better days.

All was not in vain, however. This morning I went to do a "gentle" rendition of my physical therapy exercises (per my therapist's recommendation) and there was noticeable improvement in flexation (straightening of the arm) and supination (turning the wrist outward so palm faces up). I can definitely straighten my arm more then I could yesterday. And supination... well, for those of you who have seen how much I was able to turn my wrist outwards will be happy to see the improvement. For those who haven't, before and after pics...

Before... on my own power, approximately that much...

Now, on my own power, this much... and I can do more in the rack device I'm using to improve supination. In fact, I was able to move the rack thing's dial out another notch.

I wonder where all that broken up scar tissue goes. Does it float around in my arm like a whole lot of flotsam and jetsam or does it just sort of disappear slowly? Hmm, there could be some sort of parallel to life in that statement...

So, I suppose I should be glad I listened to Dr. J. I know the pain will fade and if I keep up the PT work the benefits should speak for themselves...

Oh, and did I mention how much my freakin arm hurts? LOL.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So you need to go through this later to improve the supination? Or this is just an one-time thing? It's a big improvement. Great job!!!

Snarfff said...

Please, god, let it be a one time thing!!!!

JoeEuphonium said...

*smooches* Oh Bethums I can't imagine how painful it must be. I am ubber excited to see the results just after one day though! This is awesome and I'm soo happy for that. *huggles*

Cheryl Czekala said...

We need to forge you a large medal, 14 ct. gold, with lots of colorful grosgrain ribbon. It will be embazoned with the words: Champion Warrior Goddess!

xo

thistle said...

Ooh, ooh, I know where it goes! THe bellhops come take it all away for you!!!!

Snarfff said...

Cheryl, when do I get that medal? I plan to wear it everyday! SP, I knew the bellhops would finally come in handy!