Friday, September 19, 2008

Glacier Park on my mind...

Miles check-in...
Last time I updated my miles I was in Idaho Falls at 847 miles. Since then...

  • From Idaho Falls to Linda's, including my wrong turn: 252 mi (total to Linda's: 1,099 mi)
  • Gates of the Mountain (Wood driving): 167.8 mi
  • Day trip to Butte and Helena: 190.8 mil
  • Yellowstone Park (Wood driving): 318.3 mi
  • Bozeman Errands (Linda driving): 62.2 mi

Grand total: 991.1 mi
If I only count my own miles: 442.8 mi
But I'm going to count all the miles cause it distance travelled!
So, as of last night, I have covered: 1,838.1 mi

TODAY
Three Forks to the East entrance of Glacier Park (St. Mary's), in 20 miles, back out the East entrance, south to Rt. 20, west and south to Polson, Mt.
Grand total in miles: 486 mi

Overall miles: 2,324.1 mi (oh my god)

The drive to Glacier Park took longer than I had hoped... but it was a beautiful drive. I took Rt. 287 from Three Forks through Helena and then to Coteau, at which point I headed north on Rt. 89. This eventually lead me into the Blackfeet Reservation. At St. Mary's I entered the park via the East Entrance. Sadly, it was there that I learned the road that goes through Glacier Park was not open all the way through... from the east I could only go in 20 miles. The Ranger asked: "Do you still want to go in?" Like I was going to turn around after driving 250+ miles? Uh, Yeah, I'm going in!

Wow. Beautiful. The pictures can't do justice... here are all of today's pictures.

Some random on the road pictures...





Next two are from the Blackfeet Reservation...





And now into Glacier Park...



















And now, the highlight of my day!!! MOUNTAIN GOAT JAYWALKING!!!! With the exception of maybe a jaywalking bear, this goat truly made my day... in fact, I think I giggled most of the way out of the park.

First, I spy him sauntering along the side of the road. I roll down my window and say, "hey, want a ride?"



He looks at me with his piercing eyes, shrugs, and replies, "Nah, I'm good, thanks..." Then, without even asking, he just totally walks right in front of me...



And totally taking his time about it... as if I had all day...



And then he just hops the fence and shows me his butt... such fluffy goat tocks...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Look at him!! I think what he tried to say is talk to the butt!!!