Sunday, September 14, 2008

Made it to Three Forks, Mt.

Well, I finally made it to my destination! I'll have to post the total miles tomorrow because I forgot to check! But here's my little Honda Civic parked in its little spot in front of Linda's place. She looks a little tired, but she did a great job!



I started out this morning from Twin Falls, Id, at around 10:00 a.m. Below is a shot from just under the bridge that crosses over the Snake River as you leave the city. It's a beautiful gorge and while I was walking around and taking pictures, there were some folks parachuting from the bridge.

Hmmm... for some reason I can't seem to upload any of my Snake River pictures... will have to figure that out later...

Driving through eastern Idaho was kinda boring. It reminded me of driving through the Central Valley. But occasionally I saw a nice bit of green, or some big field of corn.



It got better when I got north of Ashton because that's when I entered the Targhee National Forest. Lots of trees there!

But finally I hit Montana!!!!



Boy was I happy to see that sign!

The scenery in Montana put Eastern Idaho to shame, let me tell you. Beautiful hills and mountains, rolling wide-open fields, rivers, etc. And long stretches with nothing in sight!



Then I thought I was almost there... I was heading north on Rt. 287 and having a nice relaxing time enjoying the scenery and thinking that this is some serious wide-open space! Then I took the wrong turn at Ennis and ended up going quite a bit out of my way... namely through Virginia City and Nevada City and then all the way around and up and to Whitehall and then east again on I-90... sigh... But it did have a nice side affect. First, I got to get a nice view of the Madison Valley as I climbed up Rt. 287.



Plus, even though I didn't stop, Virginia City and Nevada City were pretty darn cute!

When I finally got to Linda's place, I turned on to her street and was greeted with this important service announcement:



But I didn't let it stop me. I arrived happily, driving right up to the front porch where Linda was waiting for me! I had a super nice evening talking with her and Wood, we had a great dinner (Kim, Bill, Linda cooked!!! Linguine and Clams, salad, garlic bread, tomatoes sauteed in olive oil and mint. Sigh. It was great.)

This is the view from their porch!



The moon just got brighter the darker it got until it was very near blinding to look at.

I'm off to get ready for bed now! Tomorrow we are of to Holbert (?) Lake for a bit of boating.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you made it! Looks so peaceful and beautiful.

Just Me Mike said...

You made it! I'm enjoying the updates, and great pictures! Have fun and please say hi to Linda for me :-) ttyl!

Cheryl Czekala said...

Sweet lookin' car, there, Beth. Looking forward to a ride when you return to the City.

Steve Gallagher said...

Linda looks rather menacing with that net! Perhaps she could put it to good use here at USF.

Steve Gallagher said...

Oops, I commented on the wrong entry - but you know what I mean...